Pages

.

FAQ: Does Good Anime Exist Anymore?



One thing I have been having a problem with recently is finding any good anime shows to watch. Looking at all the anime that aired this year, I could hardly pick seven really good anime that are definitely worth watching: Ao no Exorcist (second season), KonoSuba (second season), Youjo Senki, Shingeki no Kyojin (second season), Boku no Hero Academia (second season), Boruto and Fate/ Apocrypha. There were a couple of other good or rather popular anime that the community was hyped about but I have a major problem with most of them: they are either ecchi anime and I can't stand ecchi or they are just full of annoying fan-service. 
I understand that nowadays it's really hard to come up with fresh, unique ideas but do you seriously need to cover that lack of ingenuity with fan-service, or cute girls? Oh yeah, I forgot cute girls aka. the Kyoto Animation thing. I don't know if you checked it out, a couple of weeks ago, there has been a poll conducted in Japan asking what have been the 100 best anime shows in anime history. And most of the top 20 places were moe anime. What can I say, the Japanese love their cute girls. 
But despite all that I still see some positive outcome in recent years, especially in the shounen genre. 
Now that Naruto is finished, one of the places in the shounen spotlight has been freed, and who would  be a better successor than Naruto's own son. Boruto is a promising show that has a lot of potential, in my though, and after only 20 episodes, I can already say that I am a fan. Even the author of the original series, Masashi Kishimoto, said that Boruto will be even better than Naruto. I will trust Kishimoto and his team while looking forward to a new episode every Wednesday. 


But the greatest spotlight in the shounen genre has been given to a newcomer in the anime world. Based on the manga written by Horikoshi Kouhei this anime has been a boom in the community and everyone has been hyped about it ever since. Even though I hesitated watching it in the beginning (for reasons I cannot remember now) I knew that Boku no Hero Academia is a great show. After just three episodes I became an instant fan and I'll probably stay one until the end. Boku no Hero Academia is fresh, entertaining, exciting and emotional, in short, it has all the things that make an anime a masterpiece. It is still unclear whether we'll see a long running anime adaptation (I hope it will come to that) but at least we'll still have an amazing manga to read. 


There have been many discussions about stuff like, whether there still exists good anime, or is anime becoming worse with the years. I can definitely say that  anime is not the same anymore. I haven't seen much older anime (older than 2004, I just don't like the animation) so I can't say whether fan service, or ecchi anime were popular even then, but it has become a normal thing today in anime, and I don't like that. Still, as long as there is at least one or two really good anime shows airing in each season, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, anime is more and more becoming just a medium to increase the popularity and sales of the original work (mostly manga and novels), so we'll probably have to rely on those in the future. But despite that, I am optimistic that there will be more amazing anime in the future. Fingers crossed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment